Taylor's - The Next Generation

As the Boland & Taylor tree twines together, so do the days of our lives!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

We're hitting the terrible two's long and hard! "Love is Patient, Love is Kind..." I just have to keep telling myself that!

Friday, January 05, 2007

Boxing Day!

I wake up. Neck still stiffer, than an older man on Viagra! Yowzer! But I look good. I've got on a lot of my new duds and for the 1st time EVER, that I've lived in the city, I'm going to a store downtown Oakville, for a bargain shop. Take advantage of the 50% off entire store. This place is one of my favorite stores here in Oakville, but very pricey. It's called Mainstream.

It didn't even dawn on me that I wasn't the only person they called to tell about the sales event. I did NOT go early as they suggested, in fact, I went right when they said they would be open. 10 a.m.

I drive down the street and see a LINE UP to get in. I debated the line and thought, "no it's not that bad, I'll go for it." And I did. Good thing I had on my new long coat with a hood. It was a windy cold chill that was coming off the lake, and I was prepared. Not like these city girls, standing in line with their cropped jeans, high boots, and hip hugging shirts. No hat, hair done to perfection. I looked like "Igloo girl" and they're Paris Hilton's. Gee, I wonder why I feel like I still left Bracebridge!

20 minutes later, I was in. Store was cramped, despite the effort for the doorman who was headcounting. People were changing in the aisles because the change rooms were full. But I did well. Mostly long sleeved tops.

I went home, feeling like the woman in the Ikea commercial who's yelling at her husband to "GET THE CAR!" and my bags are on both hands as I walk quickly and briskly from the store! Like Tarzan "Ah AH!"

I come home, Dad & Rhonda should be here soon. The girls came in from their shopping too and we all had lunch. Finally, Dad & Rhonda showed up...in a new truck! It's a yellow Toyota SUV. Rhonda & Dad's Christmas present to each other. Spiffy!

We had a nice visit and Jane & Maggie came over for dinner.

All went well. As Tegan would say "Delicious." You can't see her very well at the end corner, but she smiled for the camera! Same smile as the Christmas cards...

We played "Mr.Napkin Head" from the new movie "The Holidays" with Cameron Diaz, and Jude Law. LOVED IT.

Then it was time for the presents! Who doesn't love that?? Tegan. She'd had enough yesterday. So I was her official opener. I could sympathize with her though. Everyone was saying "Tegan..Tegan" to come, to sit, to unwrap, to show, give this to.., I tell'ya, I was sick of her name by the end of it. No wonder she wasn't listening!

Clint was getting drunk. Dad was kissing his new extension cord, Mark was tidying up the papery mess, Suzie was taking photo's, Maggie looked tired, Rhonda was happy & astonished to see her name in print on her stocking. Tegan was ignoring everyone enjoying her new moccasins. Jane was sitting politely, trying not to laugh at my dad bouncing around beside her. And I was having a tear jerking moment reading my Dad's card to me!

By the end of it. Tegan's begging for bed, Jane & Maggie had to get home to catch their flights out for Florida the next day and Clint finally passed out. Thank Goodness! The rest of us watched the "Blue Collar Comedy Tour" and had a good laugh. Did I mention my neck was still stiff? The cooking and preparing was finally over, Common neck, relax already!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, Connie is being EXTREMELY modest, because her very careful planning, followed by her amazing flexibility when those plans were changed on her, really made Christmas special for everyone.

Instead of trying to sneak over for a few hours on Christmas Day, I ended up staying over for a few days. Maggie's visit was announced only the week before. And no matter how many other grown-ups are there, Connie seemed to have Tegan on her hands all of the time, too! But when we woke up Christmas morning, Santa had left us ALL stockings, full to the brim. And there were even enough home-made crackers for us at Christmas dinner, so we all got to wear paper crowns. And — frozen turkey breast or not — that girl can cook! And she cooked while we all ran around like little kids, getting in her way, offering to help and then drifting away when Tegan does something cute... yup, we were useless, but she was fabulous!

I don't know how we got so lucky to get Connie in our family, but next year we have to divide the holiday labour a bit more, if only to save her poor neck!

- Aunt Suzie

1:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home